TRUTH IS MY SWORD
JUSTICE IS MY STRENGTH
ENLIGHTENED IS MY SOUL
God Speaks (Ditat Deus).............................
Genesis Chapter 14
23.That I will not take from a thread even to a shoe - latchet. The Hebrews have an elliptical form of making oath, in which the imprecation of punishment is understood. In some places, the full expression of it occurs in the Scriptures, “The Lord do so to me and more also,” (1 Samuel 14:44.) Since however, it is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God, in order that the obligation of oaths may be the more binding, this abrupt form of speech admonishes men to reflect on what they are doing; for it is just as if they should put a restraint upon themselves, and should stop suddenly in the midst of their discourse. This indeed is most certain, that men never rashly swear, but they provoke the vengeance of God against them, and make Him their adversary. Lest thou shouldst say. Although these words seem to denote a mind elated, and too much addicted to fame, yet since Abram is on this point commended by the Spirit, we conclude that this was a truly holy magnanimity. But an exception is added namely that he will not allow his own liberality to be injurious to his allies, nor make them subject to his laws. For this also is not the least part of virtue, to act rightly, yet in such a manner, that we do not bind others to our example, as to a rule. Let every one therefore regard what his own vocation demands, and what pertains to his own duty, in order that men may not prejudge one another according to their own will. For it is a moroseness too imperious, to wish that what we ourselves follow as right, and consonant with our duty, should be prescribed as a law to others.
(And now repeated from one of my first posts beginning this blog December 2010)
- Truth has many faces, see its soul.
- If truth can be told, it must be told.
- If there is a better truth, progress finds it.
- Truths like time, expire.
- What is true today, may not be true tomorrow.
- Let go of old truths accepting new truths with all related changes.
- Truths have limits of accuracy.
- If truth's valid domain enlarges or shrinks reevaluate validity.
- Truths create sane social systems, destroys those not.
- Truth reigns supreme.
- Truth surpasses corruption and confusion.
- Truth has value and integrity.
- Truth today creates a better tomorrow.