Thursday, May 5, 2011

Juror's Statements

For artists entering their art works to an art show, it is very helpful to know the jurors criteria used for selecting works to be included or awards made in the show.

***********************

For the 2011 Glendale Adult Center Art Show May 3rd-May 30th Larry Willis wrote the following:

First, thank you for inviting me to jury your exhibition. I enjoyed the experience especially when I found out there were going to be no pieces left out of the show. All I had to do was give awards. I enjoy looking at art and those involved in the creative process. So it is hard for me to judge harshly those who are pursuing what they love to do. I once expressed, “Those who can - create, those who can’t - curate and everybody is a critic.” When you are a juror you take on the last two roles. (I’d rather be creating.) When evaluating art I look for three criteria, (1) skill of media (technique), (2) inventiveness (originality of idea) and (3) balance (this can be balance of design, color or both). When all of these come together … it’s great. All of the pieces that received awards, including honorable mentions, displayed at least one of these, many two and some all three. (Others that didn’t get  ribbons displayed some of these qualities also.)some  who got honorable mentions were in the running for higher place (it was hard to decide.)

 In “A Grand Evening”, Carl Holle’s originality was scale. Grand can mean large, but the grandeur was displayed in a small piece. It also had balance of design, color and showed his skill as a painter.

Something to keep in mind is that all judging of art is subjective. What I chose might have been different from another’s choice. When I began entering my work in exhibits I put 3 paintings before one jury and all were rejected. I entered the same three in another juried exhibit and got 1st place in painting. This gave me perspective so as to not take it too hard.

Again Thanks, Larry Willis
www.phoenixartspace.com/larrywillis

**********************

For the Phoenix Artists Guild 2011 Spring Exhibit at the Beatitudes Church, Juror Ruth Knowles, Arizona Artists Guild President wrote this:


Phoenix Artists Guild Spring Exhibition

Looking at art work gives me an opportunity to see people’s unique vision, their personal interpretation of their world.  I also appreciate seeing a certain amount of risk taking some artists take to convey their vision.  Thank you.

The PAG Exhibition presented challenges for me as a juror of awards.  I selected work that illustrated technical skill and craftsmanship in the particular medium as well as attention to the basic Elements of Art and Principles of Design.  I also considered Concept, Originality, and Composition of each piece.  Additionally, I wanted the hand of the artist to invite me to look closer and to linger. 

As a caution, I remind artists to present work as simply as possible: neutral mats, simple frames.  Try not to be influenced by a framer or a garage sale find.

----Ruth Knowles

                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment