Thursday, October 21, 2010

Self Images

Took this web cam photo of myself this morning ... sans makeup, no photo enhancements, etc... just impromptu and in the present .... one needs to see their photo periodically to realize reality of self's image which often times there is not just one and any one of the set is quite different than our mental image of our selves. Others also have images of us that may differ from our real physical image if, in fact, there is only one true real physical image.  I believe that whoever holds the camera creates a different image of us to be photographed.  One can even see transformations in one's image as we are in the presence of different individuals or state of mind.

Transmogrification usually connotes changing one's shape and form grotesquely but couldn't the same concept create something more beautiful? That would be the concept of  transfigure .... to give a new and typically exalted or spiritual appearance to ... or transform outwardly and usually for the better.

A lot of money is spent on cosmetics and various programs to enhance our beauty ..... well, that is one of the luxuries I gave up after my bicycle accident in 1987 .. I rationalized I had traded beauty and youth for my being able to survive the accident and the physical injuries of being hit by a van traveling 40 miles per hour driven by a disabled driver in 1987.  My head still moves involuntarily, and the motion is noticeably visible to others when I am somewhat stressed or talking, and they think perhaps I have Parkinson's disease but I believe it is just scar tissue on my brain from the head injury I sustained.  I did not grieve over no longer being lovely and attractive since I was concentrating on just staying alive and focusing on being alive.  A lot of things about me changed as a result of that accident .... just as death changes us and some look ok in a coffin and others prefer they have closed coffins .... I don't think I want someone looking at my dead body. 

As persons, we have the right to reject and deny another from taking a photo of our self at any time except if we are arrested and they need to take a mug shot ... mug shot's are never flattering.  

I do not own my image as viewed by others, nor do I feel that anyone owns their image. We are responsible to our image but it serves principally as the interface for others who see it (unless we are totally hiding from sight or like women in the Islam religion).

The image of a person is a means of identifying them, When we see someone, it is in the public domain, public view, the common environment. If capturing that moment with a camera  and doing so without invading one's personal privacy, propriety, and space, then how can the subject of that photograph claim it as their property?  The photographer can claim it since it was his view and camera that captured the image.  There are many laws concerning the rights of citizens in this country and it seems that there are more being added all the time via court cases and legislation.  If I photograph someone, I must have a model's signed permission in order to publicly display a photo with that model in it if she is recognizable in the photograph. I think in the practical sense it matters more the intent of photographing and how the photo is used that matters more than any person's image in it. One should always see and photograph another in the best light possible.  That means to think the best of another as we would want them to think well of us similarly.  Photos can be defiled and so can our images, that is a crime even if done mentally and not physically.

Beauty and self image?  Is that important to happiness?  One can spend hours primping in front of a mirror or little at all and the results vary greatly individual to individual.  I prefer to accept my natural image with as little of commercial cosmetics as possible. Personal appearance is like good body hygiene in that we should care enough about ourselves to be reasonably neat, clean, and tidy especially if we plan to be in the company of others.  We care what others think about us, up to a point, and it reflects that we care about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment