Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The High Cost of Sanity in America

I am not sure about writing about this..... the high cost of sanity in America today. I just learned that by changing my prescription from Zyprexa 2.5 mg (provided by Lilly pharmaceutical) to Abilify 2mg (provided by Bristol-Myers Squibb), without insurance it is $8,000 a year!!!  Abilify charges the same for a 2mg dose as the price for aa 5mg dose so I had my Dr. prescribe 5mg and 90 pillsa, and I intend to buy a pill cutter to cut the pill in half for my daily medicine and my prescription would last 6 months giving me the 2.5 mg daily. Insurance plans for those lucky to have insurance pay some of the cost, but still the cost of medication is extremely high and that is the problem with maintaining sanity while losing your pocketbook needed for basic necessities. When attempting to fill my prescription for the 90 pills 5mg of Abilify with intent to get 6 months by cutting the 5 mg in half, Prescription solutions refused to do that and would only give 45 bills and then charge me an additional $275 copay the next time I ordered the remaining 45 pills.  They explained that the United Health Care would only pay for 90 days at prescribed dosage indicated by Dr. and that 45 pills cut in half is 90 days of medicine. 

Because of the extreme extra out of pocket cost to me to change to Abilify, I am staying with the almost 1/2 the cost Zyprexa medication and there is a lower cost (reasonable) than their 5 mg unlike Abilify manufactured by Bristol-Myers Squibb. 

Why isn't America developing more cost affordable and safe with less lethal side affects medicines for its people with mental health conditions needing medications.????

No comments:

Post a Comment