Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Background

"The best way to ruin a friendship is to do someone's website" (just an interesting quote) .... I have constructed websites for friends and organizations volunteering my time and resources. It was a valuable learning experience, but one that I would rather not dwell on. If you have coded HTML very much you understand my message without my adding any additional detail.

In response to a friends inquiry about my education and work backgound ..

In 1963-69 (it took me longer than 4 years since I was married and gave birth to 2 children during those tertiary school years at Hannibal-Lagrange College, University of Illinois, Kansas City Metropolitan Junior College, and University of Missouri at K. C.).... there was no such thing as a major in computer science or IT, I majored in Mathematics (avoiding statistics and applied stuff), minored in Education and received a B.S. Math degree at which time, I applied to AT&T and was hired to work in their accounting department as a salaried professional. AT&T trained a class of new hires regularly (about 20) to train to their standards of excellence and to educate to be a member of their department of programmers and data base developers. Working as a professional employee with AT&T meant I was non union (which was only for wage earners), and AT&T professionals were designated management personnel. I worked for them for 4 years then my husband and I relocated to Rochester, NY as new hires for Xerox. Xerox provided IBM training classes in IMS and systems software development. After working for Xerox for about 3 years, American Express in Phoenix, Az hired me providing even more advanced training and education in IMS design and development .... and so on and so on through other U.S. Corporations (Capex, IT&T Courier, Intel, IBM, and back to AT&T) moving up the professional ladder of expertise with each move, receiving greater compensation as I advanced. I even worked overseas (1985-6) in New Zealand (with permanent residence visa) for their consortium of banks data processing company named DataBank, returned to America and worked for Cutler Williams as a consultant to Lomas & Nettleton Mortgage Company then consulting work, work, and more work.... and now I am retired... creatively using my time to be both artist and author as time allows.

The paragraph above accounts for my working career years after tertiary schooling. Prior to my college graduation year 1969, from age 15-25, I worked while attending high school and college to save money to pay for my education as a home town telephone operator, waitress in a nice restaurant, clerk in retail stores, and secretary in school offices.

Whew! That was a trip down memory lane.



No comments:

Post a Comment